[CentOS] NIS probs - Login and no home dir -help

Clint Dilks clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Tue Aug 28 23:12:37 UTC 2007

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I'm trying to configure two things on my RH 5 server with dual-boot
> CentOS 5 (out-of-box) and Windows XP w/SP2 (fully patched) clients:
>
> - NIS/NFS:  I have managed to get user logins, but all accounts
> produce Can't Find Home Directory, Using Root!    The error logs, when
> trying to mount any NFS directory, is the server claims permission
> denied.   I've reviewed many web pages and reviewed my config files
> carefully.  Just a matter of finding the winning config.   Firewall
> and SELinux are disabled, and the machines have been rebooted many times.

Hi,

Have you configured autofs to mount the appropriate home directories?.

If not you need to ensure autofs is started and ensure you have
something similar to

/home  auto.home in /etc/auto.master where auto.home is a NIS Map
containing entries like

<user> <mount point>:&
bob    nishome:/export/homes/:&

Good Luck