[CentOS] Stage2.img

semi linux

linuxsemi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 23:30:56 UTC 2007

I've got a RAID card (3ware 9650SE-2LP) that wasn't supported by the
in-kernel driver until 2.6.19+

Since CentOS 5.0 is based on 2.6.18-8.el5 is was looking for a way to
incorporate their driver from the website so I wouldn't have to use
the "linux dd" kernel option all the time. (trying to automate as much
as possible using kickstart, scripts, etc).

Through reading about other OSes I've found that the most common way
to do this would be to modify the stage2.img file on the boot DVD and
add the driver to the boot kernel image.  The problem is, I can't
mount the stage2.img file using cramfs.

# mount -o loop -t cramfs stage2.img /mnt
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

Any suggestions? or should I try going about this another way?

- G