[CentOS] RE: Setting up RAID using mdadm on a proliant DL320 G4

Ross S. W. Walker

rwalker at medallion.com
Wed Aug 29 20:38:43 UTC 2007

> From: centos-bounces at centos.org
> [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of
> israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu
>
>  Hi, I have a new server HP proliant DL320 G4, with two 160
> GB SATA hdds.. I have installed CentOS 4.5  with mdadm
> without any problem, but when I disconnect one disk the
> server does not boot or I received a kernel panic when
> booting... I have disabled the SATA embeded raid (BIOS) and
> nothing.. I've also download the driver from HP site HP
> (Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver Diskette for Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 4 (x86)). and nothing it does not recognize
> the driver from HP... does anybody knows how to setup a
> software linux RAID on a proliant DL320 G4?

It really doesn't have to do with the server manufacturer it
is most likely your grub setup that is causing the problem.

Can you post a copy of your /etc/fstab, /boot/grub/menu.lst
and /boot/grub/device.map?

When I setup my OS HD in a RAID1 I followed this recipe:

1) create 2 100MB MD partitions on each drive, create raid1
mirror of them, mount it /boot and make it ext3 fs.

2) create 2 MD partitions on each drive out of the remaining
space, create a raid1 mirror of them, make the mirror an LVM
PV.

3) create VG named CentOS out of PV

4) create 8GB LV called root, mount it / and make it ext3.

5) create 4GB LV called swap, formatted swap

6) create 16GB LV called home, mount it /home and make it ext3.

After install make sure grub is installed on both HDs.

device.map:
# this device map was generated by anaconda
(hd0)     /dev/sda
(hd1)     /dev/sdb

# grub-install /dev/sda (if you booted then it is already on sda)
# grub-install /dev/sdb

menu.lst:
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-8.1.8.el5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.8.el5 ro root=/dev/CentOS/root
        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-8.1.8.el5.img

fstab:
/dev/CentOS/root        /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/md0                /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/CentOS/home        /home                   ext3    defaults        1 3
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/CentOS/swap        swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

Now you can use a labels for /boot, to do so:

# e2label /dev/md0 boot

Then in fstab, replace the line starting with /dev/md0, with:
LABEL=boot              /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2

-Ross