[CentOS] What is eating my memory?

William Warren hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Thu Aug 30 04:08:23 UTC 2007

easier way....log in as root and type the word free to get a much
slimmer version of that information.  If the numbers look odd(after
posting them here) then the more expansive option below is needed.

Alfred von Campe wrote:
>> I install centos 5 on a HD while it is in a Compaq with 256Mb memory.
>> After install, i am in graphics mode (Gnome) and top reports not quite
>> all 256Mb used.
>>
>> Then I move the HD to a decTOP with 512Mb memory.  I am running
>> non-graphics (init 3).  I ssh into the unit and top reports not quite
>> all of that used.....
>>
>> So what ate up more than 256Mb memory (X is not running)?
>>
>> Perhaps there is something I did not clean up properly wrt the move.
>
> Have you done any I/O on the system?  The memory could be in use by
> buffers.  Please post the contents of /proc/meminfo.  Your real free
> memory should be the sum of MemFree + Buffers + Cached.
>
> Alfred

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099