[CentOS] MIssing Log Entries in /var/log/messages

Frank Jahn

frank.jahn at robbe.com
Thu Aug 30 07:16:59 UTC 2007

Hello,

has something changed in CentOS 5 logging behavior? I get no entries in
/var/log/messages when I start or stop services (httpd, ssh, etc.).
My /etc/syslog.conf is the installation default:

# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
#kern.*                                                 /dev/console

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                                  -/var/log/maillog

# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron

# Everybody gets emergency messages
*.emerg                                                 *

# Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler

# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log

Any Ideas?

Best regards

Frank Jahn