[CentOS] rsync arg list to long

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Thu Aug 30 15:29:54 UTC 2007

>>/ I am trying to do an rsync or scp from machine1 to machine2.
/>>/ I am getting arg list to long.
/>>/
/>>/ I am using centos 5 machine 1 and centos 4.5 on machine2.
/>>/
/>>/ I am using the default shell which is bash.
/>>/
/>>/ How can I get past this?
/
>Change your rsync command around a bit.

>(If you can show us the command you're using, we can make some suggestions)

>I would gather that you have a huge amount of files in the dir you're syncing.

I was trying to do "rsync -a root at machine2:/somedirectory ."

There are multiple directories under the tree and yes many files.

also tried "scp -r root at machine2:/somedirectory ." with the same result of too many files.

Jerry