[CentOS] Re: CentOS Digest, Vol 31, Issue 31

Rohit Rai

rohitbrai at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 12:54:00 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:57:18 -0400
Subject: Re: [CentOS] NFS Question and answers
On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 18:38 +0530, Rohit Rai wrote:
> HI! Friends,
>
> in followup to my last article regarding my experiences with setting
> up CentOS,
> taking the advice from Phil, I have written an article dealing with
> NFS setup.
>
> Please visit it at
> http://mytechrantings.blogspot.com/2007/08/nfs-network-file-system.html
>
> The article format is in "Questions and Answers" which I chose so that
> It can be a increase Knowledge Base . . .
>
> Please see to it and tell me what do you think about this format...
> And leave any questions in the comment that I might have missed...
> And ofcourse you are welcome to put in your thoughts and knowledge in
> the topic there :D
>
> I am planning to write more artciles in this series, already working
> on them, one is on YUM setups for LANs and another one is on XEN and
> Virt manager. But before I proceed I want to know about the format...
> will this Q&A format be appealing enough???
>
> Kind Regards,
> Rohit Rai

I still think joining

and contributing to the Wiki would better serve this audience.

> --
> I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection.
> Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
> - Michael J. Fox

An excellent start.  With regard to firewalls, a simpler if less-secure
approach it to open the firewall to trusted machines on the local net.
Might want to address the "insecure" parameter in /etc/exports for those
using NAT.  Fixing a few typos ("variou configuration" "But bere is")
would take you a bit further down the road in an asymptotic approach
toward perfection.  :-)

Regards,
Phil

Hi! Phil,

I joined in the list and am waiting for the first digest to get a feel of
it. I somehow just felt that making the article over my blog and then once I
feel it is complete, submitting it to the documentation will be much easier
for me to keep a track of things. Generally I tend to miss out quite a few
mails in these lists... :(

Thanks for the correntions. Also I have added a long list of options that
are available for use in /etc/exports. I am not sure how insecure affects
NAT users. I am no Linux guru, though I have been using it since 6-7 years
now, I am much more a enthusiast than a pro... That is one reason I am
interested in getting sufficient and right document in place. Though we have
lot of document it is very scattered, so I am playing my part as much as I
can to get a consolidated documentation in CentOS and Fedora.

Kind regards,
Rohit