[CentOS] yum-updatesd.conf on centos 5

Wed Aug 1 06:40:21 UTC 2007
Indunil Jayasooriya <indunil75 at gmail.com>

Hi All,

I am running CentOS5 . Yum pkg was installed by deault fresh installation.

pls see below for installed yum pkgs.
[root at mailgw ~]# rpm -qa |grep yum
yum-updatesd-3.0.5-1.el5.centos.2
yum-3.0.5-1.el5.centos.2

later, I installed below pkg for protection.
yum-protectbase-1.0.4-2.el5.centos

Now, everything works. But, in this vershion of yum, It has no crontab
running. It has a file called  /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf instaed.

in this yum-updatesd.conf file,

by default, below 3 lines were set to no

# automatically install updates
do_update = no
# automatically download updates
do_download = no
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = no

I changed it to yes.

Pls see below for my yum-updatesd.conf file.

[root at mailgw ~]# cat /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf
[main]
# how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
run_interval = 3600
# how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
updaterefresh = 600

# how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
emit_via = dbus
# should we listen via dbus to give out update information/check for
# new updates
dbus_listener = yes

# automatically install updates
do_update = yes
# automatically download updates
do_download = yes
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = yes

Then, I noticed it runs all the time.

Is it proper?

or is there any other way to run yum.

Pls note that I need to download and install all the upfdates
automaticallyas I have installed
yum-protectbase.

Help needed.

--