[CentOS] Re: VMWare hiccup on CentOS 5, 2.6.18-8.1.8

Wed Aug 1 22:52:36 UTC 2007
Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 18:45 -0700, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> For reasons which escape me, my VMWare Server, which was working
> perfectly a week ago when I shut down my machine for vacation, no
> loner comes up with the formerly working Windows XP system - it just
> stays in the small window where it normally boots and does nothing.

It turns out that this was the same problem I was seeing on CentOS 4.4
right before I upgraded, only rebooting does not help.  I have booted to
a plain vanilla 2.6.18-8.1.8 kernel and even went back to the
2.6.18-8.1.6 kernel where this was working before, so it clearly is NOT
a CentOS problem (never thought it was!).

The logs are rather unrevealing as to what happens - the guest just
starts to boot and hangs with a black screen (and the play button
blinking).  It has been suggested (elsewhere and before) that I create a
new VMWare guest OS, attach the current non-working drive to it and try
to clean it up from there.  This might work and I will try it, but I was
wondering if there was anyone else out there who might have an idea what
this could be.

Thanks.

mhr