[CentOS] Turning off a notebook's screen

Sun Aug 5 20:33:37 UTC 2007

My notebook is an HP Compaq nc4010 running current Centos 5.0 with the
Gnome desktop.

I have been having problems with my notebook's screen never really going
off.

I lock my screen and the backlight stays on.

I push the close monitor button, or even close the unit, the backlight
turns off for maybe 10 seconds then turns back on.

Actually I just did a test again, and when I push the notebook closed
button (that little microswitch that gets toggled when the unit is
closed), the monitor turns off completely, then the backlight comes on,
then the screen goes into some sort of barely lit mode (brighter).  Even
the attack VGA monitor does the same thing.  But at least I can turn
that off independently when I want to lock my system.

Oh, I did not have this problem in Centos 4.x.

I think this is tied into the screensaver function.  I have selected
'Blank screen' theme in Preferences > Screensaver.

thanks for any pointers.