[CentOS] Zimbra vs. Scalix vs. et. al.

Fri Aug 31 20:27:27 UTC 2007
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

Well, I stumbled onto zimbra....

I have a Scallix system built, but still have some rough edges to try to
smooth. Like the way it works with sendmail, no dnsbl's will work as
sendmail sees all mail as coming from locohost (scalix). Still battling
that one which is when I ran across Zimbra.

So, this made me start wondering.

Are there other exchange server-like products out there?

Has anyone dealt with Scalix and Zimbra (or another from the question
above) and would you care to post pros and cons to each?

Some of the cons to me with Scalix.

It uses it's own directory structure which is non-sensical to any admin.
Each seems to be assigned on a numbering system.. finding who has what
where is not fun and I fear will be a nightmare in the future. Sendmail
milters work fine to a point, but there is the limit of filtering using
dnsbl's and it appears it will require setting up sendmail as the
receiver, passing to scalix, passing back to sendmail, passing back to
scalix and the user mail boxes... adding an extra loop.

Shared folder are nice.. shared calendars are pretty good although I
don't see a way to sort by user are even really see immediately for
which user the event exists. You can drag and drop from Outlook IMAP a
file directly to the server, but internally we don't use outlook... but
for other clients this could be nice.

So, how are those Zimbra installs going and what's the scoop?

Thanks,
John Hinton