[CentOS] new CentOS 5 as DNS server

Thu Aug 2 17:44:59 UTC 2007
Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net>

Hi Jay, et al,

> > <snip>
> > CentOS 5 is a .0 release, you might be better served using CentOS 4.5
> > which has had much more tme to prove itself as a DNS Server.  4.5 also
> > has a good bit of time left on updates to (till Feb 29th, 2012) so you
> > shouldn't worry to much about it becoming obsolete.

My experience in both reading this list and working with other sysadmins
is that even though CentOS 5 is a .0 release, it is not only robust, but
a rock solid release.  I've been running CentOS5 on my desktop at home
for more than a few months without issue, so I'm comfortable with 5.0 in
a production environment.  Good point made, though.

> > Why do you need vsftpd?  Plain text FTP could prove very dangerous.
> > Maybe you should take this chance to switch over to something more
> > secure like SFTP.  The nice thing about sftp is it's up and running
> > straight out of the box since SSH is enabled by default.

That is certainly something to consider.  Myself and one other will be
the only folks using this machine for storage that will require ftp
access so your point is taken.  SFTP is my likely choice after a bit of
reading to ensure compatibility with our tasks.

> > Good luck,
> >
> > Jay

Thanks...your help is greatly appreciated!

~Ray