[CentOS] how to export and import VMware servers

Thu Aug 2 22:46:29 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Rogelio Bastardo wrote:
> I recently build a CentOS-based VMware server (the free ver) and now
> need to move all of the virtual machines off my old Windows-based
> VMware server (also the free ver) to this next CentOS-based one.
>
> I have successfully FTP'd all of the files to the new CentOS box and
> have even opened the server in the console Window, but cannot "start"
> it.  I start the machine (like I always do), and nothing happens.
> Unfortunately, I cannot simply run "import", as I'm using a
> Windows-based workstation to use the Windows-program to console into
> the CentOS-based VMware server.
>
> I suspect that perhaps some config file or something still thinks that
> the machine is still running in the previous Windows host OS?
>
> Now, both my guest OS and host OS are both CentOS 4.5.  Before, the
> host OS was Windows 2003, and my host OS is CentOS 4.5.
>
> Any ideas of where to look would be greatly appreciated.
>
> (I understand that this might not be the best place to ask such a non
> CentOS-related question.)

That should just work, although you may have to fiddle with the device
names for the floppy and cd a bit and make sure your network handling is
set the same way.  But it may be as simple as the *.vmx file for the
virtual machine needing to be executable by the user who is starting it.
   A 'chmod +x' might fix it.  Otherwise look for a log file in the
directory that will mention the error.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com