[CentOS] Full server restore-point image

Fri Aug 3 07:20:42 UTC 2007
Tomasz Napierała <zen at allegro.pl>

On Thursday 02 August 2007 22:26:48 Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After some months of configuring and testing a small server, think
> that would be nice to make a full server restore-point image in order
> to recover it if something goes wrong in the future, just restoring
> the image back and not making the full install and configure process
> all over again. The server uses Logical Volumes.
>
> I was thinking on using the CentOS LiveCD and then use dd command to
> clone all partitions to another storage device. But I have no
> experience on this.
>
> What do you suggest ?

I would give partimabge a try. I was using it several times, and it's really
simple and efficient. The only problem you can hit is your hardware RAID
controller not being recognized.
You can make images of partitions, and recover them (even to disks with
different geometry) easily.

Regards,
--
Tomasz Napierala