[CentOS] CentOS vs RedHat releases

Sat Aug 4 14:59:19 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>
>> In comparing CentOS to RedHat releases, it seems to me CentOS is the
>> Desktop/Workstation class distro from RedHat.   Does the CentOS
>> project then not have a Server class distro, or am I missing
>> something?   Granted, most any operating system can act as a server,
>> but there are some fundamental components of a server-class OS that
>> help is stand out versus a workstation version.
>>
>> Thanks for any insights.
>>
>> Scott
>>

> Let me clarify -
>
> I have been working on installing RHEL5 64-bit Server on a machine, and
> thought about CentOS instead, but when I realized there was only one
> CentOS distro, figuring it was desktop-oriented, I opted out.   There
> are some elements of RHEL5 server I need.
>
> Thanks again for any clarification.

Then you OPTED wrong :D

CentOS has only ONE repo because we are not trying to sell stripped down
versions at reduced price.

Desktop is just a reduced set of packages from server.  They charge
Big$$$ for server, and less$$$ for workstation/Desktop.

CentOS contains everything in both Server and desktop in one repo ...
because we don't charge $$$ for anything.

So, actually, CentOS has all packages in Server and Workstation/Desktop
and you get to pick what you want to install.  You don't have to provide
any Install numbers to unlock any extra repos ... it is just all there
available to you at install time.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes