[CentOS] CentOS vs RedHat releases

Sat Aug 4 15:03:15 UTC 2007
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>
>> In comparing CentOS to RedHat releases, it seems to me CentOS is the
>> Desktop/Workstation class distro from RedHat.   Does the CentOS
>> project then not have a Server class distro, or am I missing
>> something?   Granted, most any operating system can act as a server,
>> but there are some fundamental components of a server-class OS that
>> help is stand out versus a workstation version....
>
> I have been working on installing RHEL5 64-bit Server on a machine,
> and thought about CentOS instead, but when I realized there was only
> one CentOS distro, figuring it was desktop-oriented, I opted out.
> There are some elements of RHEL5 server I need.

what 'elements' are those?     AFAIK, the only thing in RHEL thats not
in CentOS are a few binary-only wireless drivers which aren't open
source and require onerous licensing that the centos group doesn't want
to deal with.  As others have answered already, CentOS5 has all the
components of all the RHEL variants and no artifiicial multi-processor
restrictions