[CentOS] Latest Pidgin update problem

Sat Aug 4 16:57:55 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

fredex wrote:
> A while back I added the pidgin repo to my yum configuration and installed
> pidgin. it has automatically updated itself a time or two since without
> trouble.
>
> but now that Pidgin 2.1.0 is out, it won't update properly. Yum finds
> a couple of libpurple packages to update as well as pidgin-devel, but
> not the pidgin package itself:
>
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package libpurple.i386 0:2.1.0-0.el4 set to be updated
> ---> Package pidgin-devel.i386 0:2.1.0-0.el4 set to be updated
> ---> Package libpurple-devel.i386 0:2.1.0-0.el4 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: pidgin = 2.1.0 for package: pidgin-devel
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: pidgin = 2.1.0 is needed by package pidgin-devel
>
> Anybody else seen this? It seems odd that the official pidgin repo
> would have 3 of the four necessary packages but not the fourth.

Is it possible that the pidgin that you have installed has an epoch > 0.

Also, try:

yum clean all

Then try again, as maybe something is cached in metadata that does not
show the latest pidgin.

Also, if you have priorities (or protectbase) enabled, you will need to
use this in the base and updates repo sections of
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo to get things to be updateable by 3rd
Part repos:

exclude=pidgin* libpurple*

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes