[CentOS] CentOS vs RedHat packages

Sun Aug 5 00:42:57 UTC 2007
Scott Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU>

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Shawn Everett wrote:

>> I've got some basic issues with a critical server I'm about to set up,
>> and if I cannot get beyond said issues, I may opt to try CentOS.  Seeing
>> that CentOS is free (can't call RedHat for support), I'm wondering if I
>> should try and make the case for CentOS over RedHat.  Once the choice is
>> made, it may be next to impossible to revert to the other version (RH vs
>> CentOS).
>>

> Hi Scott,
>
> If you explain the "basic issues" you are having we might be able to help
> you out.
>
> I have installed Oracle 10g and Veritas Netbackup on CentOS servers with no
> problem at all.  I've been 100% happy with how things have worked.
>
> If this really is a critical server, I would suggest going with the vendor
> supported distribution.  Running an (untested to you) distribution that
> you are not completely familiar with (on a critical server) is a recipe
> for disaster.

The basic issue I have encountered is, after freshly installing RHEL5
64-bit Server on a Dell Poweredge 2950, everything is fine.  After logging
in for the first time, I configure services as I want via
system-config-services. But after doing so, and rebooting, at first the
filesystem claims there is a system error and prompts for the root
password for a fsck, or control-D to reboot.

I opt to reboot, and the system then complains of python errors, but there
are no more system errors.  But, when I revisit system-config-services, I
immediately experience python errors.

To try and potentially help resolve this problem, I recently updated the
BIOS and some of the firmware.   I then performed a fresh install again.
I then downloaded RH's Enterprise 5 Supplement ISO, along with Dell's
OpenManage ISOs for Enterprise 5.   I'm hoping something among this back
of changes will help solve the python configuration problem.

If not, I may opt to see how well CentOS 5 handles things.

I'm mostly interested in the PostgreSql and Java pieces.

If it comes down to it, I could always place a trouble call with Dell and
RedHat and see if either of them has a helpful solution.

Anyone on the list experience the same kind of problem, and find an
answer?  If so, what was it?

The server is not connected to the Internet, and likely never will be -
strictly out-of-box CDs.

Thanks for any insights.

Scott