[CentOS] CentOS vs RedHat packages

Sun Aug 5 16:32:24 UTC 2007
Scott Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU>

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

> [...]

I'll check that out - thanks!

> Also what method did you use to reboot your system after config-services?

I forget - either reboot at the command window, or reboot from the gui.
Never a "hard" reboot.

>> I opt to reboot, and the system then complains of python
>> errors, but there
>> are no more system errors.  But, when I revisit
>> system-config-services, I
>> immediately experience python errors.
>
> Possible file-system corruption in and around where the python libraries
> are since they were last used... Maybe due to a dirty shutdown?

I always go for a "software" shutdown where/when possible - never power
cord nor power switch.

>> To try and potentially help resolve this problem, I recently
>> updated the
>> BIOS and some of the firmware.   I then performed a fresh
>> install again.
>> I then downloaded RH's Enterprise 5 Supplement ISO, along with Dell's
>> OpenManage ISOs for Enterprise 5.   I'm hoping something
>> among this back
>> of changes will help solve the python configuration problem.
>
> Did you install the latest dell drivers for your controller (Perc 5/i?),
> the drivers for these controllers are updated/fixed frequently.

I let RH install its own drivers.   I will probably then simply reinstall
the OS again, this time with linux dd to utilize the Dell PERC drivers.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get the PERC firmware to successfully
update with Dell's utility.  I may ask them for a resolution on that,
unless I can overcome it another way.

>> If not, I may opt to see how well CentOS 5 handles things.
>
> It will unfortunately handle them exactly the way RHEL does. As it is
> RHEL...
>
>> I'm mostly interested in the PostgreSql and Java pieces.
>
> And a stable and reliable system to run them on I hope. ;-)

Of course.

>> If it comes down to it, I could always place a trouble call
>> with Dell and
>> RedHat and see if either of them has a helpful solution.
>
> And the forecast calls for pain...
>
>> Anyone on the list experience the same kind of problem, and find an
>> answer?  If so, what was it?
>
> At this point it really can be anything, I would start by getting the
> latest PERC driver from Dell and installing it, uses dkms to keep it
> current on updated kernels. You will need cc, binutils, kernel-devel
> installed before hand for it to fully work right on the initial
> install.

Always pre-installed - never know when they will be needed...

>> The server is not connected to the Internet, and likely never
>> will be -
>> strictly out-of-box CDs.
>
> Should not make a difference, except you will have a hard time getting
> the latest bug-fixed and security-fixed versions of the system.
>
> I would look into finding a way to get this puppy to get the latest
> updates, either via proxy server or internal update server.

I've got other methods.

I'll try your suggestions when I return to work tomorrow.

Thanks!

Scott