[CentOS] CentOS 4 vs 5 for VMware?

Mon Aug 6 12:04:48 UTC 2007
redhat at mckerrs.net <redhat at mckerrs.net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnny Hughes" <johnny at centos.org>
Sent: Monday, August 6, 2007 9:55:10 PM (GMT+1000) Australia/Brisbane
Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS 4 vs 5 for VMware?

redhat at mckerrs.net wrote:
> Donald Maner wrote:
>> I compiled my own kernels for c4 and c5 that dropped the HZ down to 100.  For me, it's a big improvement, especially when it comes to keeping the clock correct in the vm.  And yes, performance is slightly better, because the vms aren't killing the hardware with unnecessary cpu usage trying to process all those ticks.
>>
>> Thanks for the kernels.  Hopefully they will be eventually added to the centosplus repos.

Maybe ... we are trying to work out a way to prevent conflict.  Users
seem to have a problem with more than 1 item of the same type in a
specific repo.  We will put out instructions on how to use
"exclude=whatever" in yum, but they don't and then we get a hundred bug
reports / e-mails that the plus kernel replaces the vmware kernel or the
other way around.

If we can have them easily coexist in the same repo and make it EASY for
 the users and provide the content, then we will put them there,
otherwise (or until then) people will need to look for it here.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Cool,

would you say they are ready for primetime even although they are in 'testing' ?

Cheers,

Brian.

believed to be clean.