[CentOS] How to use a modem under CentOS

Wed Aug 8 01:31:46 UTC 2007
fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 05:07:59PM -0700, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> I have a modem in my system that comes up with this in lspci:
>
> 01:07.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems 56k WinModem (rev 01)
>
> What programs under CentOS, if any, can use this modem and how?

It's a "worthless winmodem". I'd suggest throwing it in the trash and
replacing it with an external serial (not USB) modem. I note that as
of this evening, Newegg.com has several such modems, starting from
a low of $17.99 and going up from there. I have no idea if any of them
are any good, YMMV.

OTOH maybe someone else can suggest suitable drivers for the winmodem.
I refuse to use the darn things.

(actually, I lucked out--I found a great industrial-strength Multi-Tech
external modem on ebay a few years ago. it served wonderfully for
several years until we got cable here at the house. I keep it around
in case emergencies arise.)

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.