[CentOS] Building rpm-s from binaries

Fri Aug 10 12:45:31 UTC 2007
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

Tomasz Napiera?a wrote:
> Hi,
> We'd like to simplify deployment of new blades and I need to package some of
> proprietary libs we are using, and obviously I don't have sources for them.
> Can anybody point me into good direction how to make packages from binaries? I
> have basic knowledge about building rpms, but it seems to be source oriented.

The process is basically the same as building from source files - except
that you don't have to do anything in the %build stage - in fact you
could also miss out the %prep stage if you don't need to extract files
from a tar archive etc. Normally just a case of putting files where you
want them in the %install stage.

The 'noarch' rpms normally don't build anything - so they could be a
good starting point - the crontabs spec file is a simple example -
although if you are generating platform specific RPMS, you won't want
the 'BuildArchitectures: noarch' line.

James Pearson