[CentOS] alternatives to realnetworks real producer plus and helix server

Fri Aug 10 14:33:50 UTC 2007
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Robert - elists wrote:
> In CentOS and Linux land, what reliable alternatives do we have to
> realnetworks real producer plus and helix server for streaming audio and
> video ???

For streaming, I wouldn't waste any time at all on Helix server.
Apple's Darwin Streaming Server is a much better choice.  It is free and
offers most of the functionality of Quicktime Streaming Server.  It runs
just fine on CentOS 4/5.  For encoding, ffmpeg works well.  For cutting
up video there are a few options.  The one with the best feature set is
Cinelerra.  If you've got access to a Windows box (or emulation of one),
Virtualdub is also a good/cheap/functional editor.

Cheers,