[CentOS] dns propagation problem

Sun Aug 12 22:10:08 UTC 2007
James Gray <james.gray at dot.com.au>

Robert - elists wrote:
 > mark quitoriano wrote:
>> Im using centos 4.5 and bind 9.2.4-27.0.1.el4, im having a problem
>> propagating updates on domains. when i update the main NS the secondary
>> and tertiary doesn't update automatically. i need to delete the
>> <domain>.zone file in the secondary and tertiary to get update from the
>> main NS. I don't where's the problem i don't get any errors i just dont
>> get the AXFR when the don't delete the file from the backup NS.

As others have said, you MUST increment the zone's serial.
Addtitionally, on the master you may want to add "notify yes;" to the
zone stubs.  This will make sure bind sends out a message (notification)
to the slaves when a zone is changed.

> As previously noted, you have to increase the serial number of the zone,
> plus in the secondary, in the conf file, you have to make sure that the
> ownership and permissions are correct.

Permissions - good point.  Modifying slave serials??? Er, no.  Don't do
that.  I'm pretty sure you weren't suggesting the OP do that....but
that's how it reads[1] :)

> Ip source of the update matters too

Usually only a problem when you have a firewall that's matching the
source IP of TCP/53 connections (zone transfers always happen over TCP).
  But seeing as the OP can refresh the zones after hosing the slave's
cache, I doubt this is a network problem.

> Overall, Dns is easy to debug in the log files…

Here, here :)

--
James
[1] Although this morning the flu meds are doing phunky things to my