[CentOS] Re: Postfix smtp freezing

Mon Aug 13 17:30:33 UTC 2007
Ken Price <kprice at nowyouknow.net>

> You are correct, resolve.conf does list my isp's dns 250.171.3.65 which
> is qwest. The internal windows workstations also point o the isp's dns
> server.
> Can I setup a cashing dns server on the mail server itself??

Absolutely.  Assuming that none is running already:

#>  netstat -l | grep -e "domain" -e "54"

Should return no results.  Now, there are many opinions out there
regarding what caching name server to use.  I think the easiest here
would be BIND.  A little bulky, but easily maintained and installed
via YUM.  Assuming nothing funky with your install, the following
should work fine.  (you probably have one or many of these installed
already)

#>  yum install bind bind-utils bind-devel bind-libs caching-nameserver
#>  /etc/init.d/named start

#>  netstat -l | grep -e "domain" -e "54"

Should now show something like:
~]# netstat -l | grep -e "domain" -e "54"
tcp        0      0 localhost:domain         *:*            LISTEN
udp        0      0 localhost:domain         *:*            LISTEN

Now double check that it works:
#>  dig @127.0.0.1 yahoo.com

If you get a result with Yahoo's IP address info, go ahead and make
your server use your new caching name server.

Edit /etc/resolv.conf and add "nameserver 127.0.0.1" to the **TOP** of
the list.  Leave your ISP's DNS server there just for good measure -
you should always have more than one caching DNS server for
redundancy.  It should now look something like:

#/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 250.171.3.65
search yourdomainname.com

Feel free to restart your mail server processes if you like, but most
should start seeing your new name server right away.

> PS: I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me so far.

No problem.  I just hope it helps.  I'm running Qmail right now in an
ISP setup and had nasty issue about six months ago.  Got hit with a
double whammy.  A bad DNS cache, and a RBL provider timing out and
providing poor performance.  Gave me similar symptoms.

-Ken