[CentOS] Matlab 2007a and C5 out-of-box broken

Tue Aug 14 13:04:34 UTC 2007
Scott Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU>

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> On 8/13/07, Scott Ehrlich <scott at mit.edu> wrote:
>> I had to reinstall C5 64-bit out-of-box on two machines.  Before the
>> reinstall, Matlab 2007a 64-bit worked fine.  Now, I get "failed to start
>> the desktop; failure loading desktop class".  matlab -nojvm works fine.
>>
>> The reinstall was not an upgrade.
>>
>> I tested on two identical systems - one before I installed the NVIDIA
>> drivers, and one after.  No difference.
>>
>> I installed jre and jdk 1_5.0.11 on one system, and redirected
>> /usr/bin/java to the newer one.  No luck.
>>
>> I tried installing Matlab as root and sudo, running it as root and plain
>> user.   No difference.
>>
>> Web sites aren't helping me much.
>>
>> I performed a complete install (selecting ALL items from EVERY catagory of
>> the C5 64-bit DVD).
>>
>> The machines are not on any network and never will be (both isolated
>> systems)
>>
>> Anyone else with ideas?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Scott
>
> Have you checked this page?
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-183DH.html?solution=1-183DH
>
> Would matlab start with -nodesktop option at all ?

I found the problem was /lib64/xawt itself was missing, and matlab was
looking for /lib64/xawt/libmawt.so

Not sure if that is a function of CentOS or Matlab for the missing
directory.

I first ran locate libmawt.so, found the one in the Matlab path I wanted,
and created an xawt directory under /lib64, then created a symlink from
the path of Matlab's to /lib64/xawt/libmawt.so and both machines I had
problems with worked.

Thanks.

Scott