[CentOS] Using a program

Tue Aug 14 15:16:36 UTC 2007
Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu>

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 02:55:48PM +0300, Ioannis Vranos alleged:
> OS: CentOS 5 x86.
>

> There is a program I am using which requires a start up service running.
> The service runs in Runlevels 3,4,5. When I am using the program as a
> root it works fine. When I am using it as a user it produces an error.
>
> If I do as a root, /etc/init.d/program start, then I can use it as a
> simple user. I have emailed the company that makes it and had no
> response. Any idea on how to fix this?

Assuming this initscript is written correctly, 'chkconfig --add program' should
do it.  Then you can inspect if it is enabled in which runlevel with 'chkconfig
--list program', and change it with 'chkconfig program on|off'.

If it is not written correctly, then make symlinks to the runlevel directories.
For example: ln -s ../init.d/program /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99program