[CentOS] Re: Kernel

Mon Aug 20 21:41:30 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

centos spake the following on 8/20/2007 4:10 AM:

> Centos 4 kernel's base version is 2.6.9 and Centos 5 kernel's base
> version is 2.6.18.
> and I couldn't find anything in Centos mirror sites and repository ( I
> really need kernel version 2.6.18. )
>
> Downloaded and installed kernel 2.16.18 for version 5, and installed it
> on Centos 4, it is ok but while
> I am installing another software I am getting pointer exception fault.
>
> couldn't compile 2.6.18 SROM on Centos  4,  I am getting "unifdef is
> needed" when I am running
>
> rpmbuild -bb kernel-2.6.18
>
> now I guess I have only two choices:
> 1- upgrading Centos 4 to Centos 5, which I need your opinion for the best
> way of accomplishing it, considering my server is in remote location and
> I don't have access to console. ( is kick start works for remote
> installation with not access to console ? )
>
> 2- Downloading kernel from kernel.org, which I want to know if the same
> version in kernel.org is identical to same version in Centos repository.
> I want to make sure  I will have the same thing, to prevent weird problem
> in future.
>
> Thanks

Building a kernel from source on an enterprise system will almost surely break
something. A remote upgrade is possible, but you will need to test it
thoroughly on something like a vmware image or another piece of hardware that
you can access easily. You had the option to use vnc and do remote installs in
4.0, but I haven't tried it in 5. Here is a link that will take a little
testing and adjusting as it is for an upgrade to 4.
http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2005/06/15/upgrading_to_centos4_over_a_remote_vnc_c

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and