[CentOS] BIND issues, server not responding

Thu Aug 23 12:28:05 UTC 2007
Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net>

Feizhou wrote:
> Hello Ray,
>
>> Appears to be listening how I expected it to be, unless I'm not reading
>> this right.
>
> Running 'dig www.swhi.net @64.135.16.15'
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> www.swhi.net @64.135.16.15
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
>
> Robert suggested looking at your firewall. What rules do you have
> related to port 53 udp?
Hi Feizhou,

As I'm not at all expert in my understanding of iptables I can't say
definitely that there are any rules on port 53 udp but, here's the
output of /sbin/iptables -L:

[root at sunspot ray]# /sbin/iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp any
ACCEPT     esp  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             224.0.0.251         udp dpt:mdns
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:ipp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ipp
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:ssh
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited

>From what is posted above, does it appear that iptables is the issue?

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Kind regards,