[CentOS] Xen VM vanishes after creation

Mon Aug 27 19:05:45 UTC 2007
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

R P Herrold wrote on Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:14:12 -0400 (EDT):

> I have never tried using the LO as the interface ---
>
> 27/08/2007 03:08:46 Client 127.0.0.1 gone

I think this is misleading you in the wrong direction. That doesn't say
anything about which IP the guest is using. Actually it had a public IP
address, so I could install via FTP from a CentOS mirror.
That local IP above just means that the VM is running on localhost and not
on another machine.

> and do not know what may have happened in the edit of
> xend-config.sxp, but do not know of any need to edit that.

I edited it to get the http interface to it. You can then access it on
port 8000 via http. (I see only two root slashes, though, when connecting.
But I assume that's normal since it thinks there are no VMs available at
the moment.) As I said I did that *after* hitting the problem, as you can
also see from the save time. So, that file sure is okay.
What I don't udnerstand is how xend or xm determines where the image file
is located. I can't see that anywhere. And the same applies to how it
determines that a file in /etc/xen configures an existing VM and others
are only samples. There must be another information store that has this
information. I browsed thru the RHEL Virtualization Guide and some other
documents, but couldn't find any clues to this.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany