[CentOS] Package Tracking System

Tue Aug 28 18:47:44 UTC 2007
Server Gremlin <servergremlin at gmail.com>

Steve Rigler wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 11:53 -0400, Server Gremlin wrote:
>
>> Hello CentOS users,
>>
>>     Is there any sort of package tracking system for CentOS?
>>
>>     I'm used to Debian where I can view a changelog for each *Debian*
>> specific package.  This is great because I can see specifically what has
>> been fixed and what known issues remain from release to release in the
>> Debian package, which is subtly different from the upstream release.
>> For instance, I can see what's changed from "apache2.1-debian.deb" to
>> "apache2.2-debian.deb" by using the Debian Package Tracking System.
>> (I'm fudging the package names, but you get the idea).  Is there
>> anything like that in CentOS?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> - SG
>>

> Maybe this does what you want: "rpm -q 'package name' --changelog"
>
> -Steve

Thanks guys, that is pretty much what I want.  But what if I want to see
the changelog for a package that I don't have installed?  I'd like to
look at the changelog for a package available via yum before I upgrade
my existing package to it.  When I did a "rpm -q --changelog mypackage",
that only showed changes up to my currently installed version.  (Which
makes sense if this is just looking on my local machine, which I assume
it is)

Thanks,
- SG