[CentOS] grep

Tue Aug 28 22:04:33 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

>>> "sed" is a very nice tool. You can do amazing things with it. I once did
>>> a XML to HTML (limited) parser in it. I know someone that even coded
>>> a "Sokoban"-like game with sed and nothing else.
>>> Mastering sed really makes life much easier.
>>  If sed had been invented first we wouldn't have needed grep.  Then again, if
>>  perl had been invented first we wouldn't need either - or a few hundred
>>  other tools...
>
> Ick. I hate perl.

It's easy to hate perl that other people have written, but you can write
your own in whatever style you like.

> If I find something I can't do in bash/sed/awk, I just code it in C :)

You can write perl that looks like C - but if you aren't using hashes
and regexps you'll do a lot more work.  And pretty much everything that
anyone might need to do has already been written and is available on CPAN.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com