[CentOS] grep

Wed Aug 29 12:36:31 UTC 2007
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

> Old geek statement: If you think perl is the answer to a simple filter
> question then think twice.  You might be right, but it's likely smaller
> faster tools already exist.  And I say this as someone who has written
> 1000 line shell scripts and even bigger perl scripts; perl is good for
> complicated tasks, but rarely required for simple stuff.  Don't wield
> your hammer because that's all you know.
>
> In this case, everyone who responded with a perl solution needs their
> hammer taken away.

Heh. The service provider where I worked was a perl shop. I hated perl
but that was because I was not familiar with perl and it had way too
many modules and what not.

What happens sometimes is that the perl chums will hammer out a solution
in perl and use it. Later their perl solution gets converted to awk,
bash or C by themselves or by me due to perl being way too expensive.

I say let them keep their hammer and then make them use a more efficient
one when they prove their hammer does work.