[CentOS] Installing Centos 5 on one system and moving the HDto another....

Wed Aug 29 13:40:07 UTC 2007
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

> From: centos-bounces at centos.org
> [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Les Mikesell
>
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > I have a bug report in (0002288) on an install failure on
> my decTOPs
> > (Centos 4.5 installed on them).
> >
> > I have tried a lot of combinations and it is getting tiring.
> >
> > What what happen, or rather how do I get the following to work:
> >
> > Put my HD into a computer (Compaq SSF that I have installed
> Centos 5 on
> > with no trouble), install Centos 5, move the HD to the decTOP.
> >

> > Different Video card.
> > No PS/2 keyboard of mouse on the decTOP
> > INTEL vs AMD cpu
> >
> > Could it work?
>
> As long as the disk controller is the same type you should be able to
> bring it up and fix everything else.  I'd set it up to not
> start X (init
> level 3) so you can reconfigure it before it tries to start.  You may
> have to fix or remove the HWADDR= line in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file since it won't
> match the NIC.

The controller isn't as important as making sure whichever controllers
you are using are included in the initrd image by listing them all in
modprobe.conf and doing a mkinitrd beforehand.

Make sure the scsi_hostadapter lines in modprobe.conf are in the proper
order so the boot controller always appears before any other storage
controller and your drives are strung off the boot controller in the
right order.

Then if you are using mounts like /dev/sda that the controllers will
recognize the drives in the proper order, or switch to disk labels for
mounting / and /boot. Personnally I use a label for /boot and LVM for
the rest of the drive, allocating root, swap and home LVs.

-Ross