[CentOS] IBM X3200

Thu Aug 30 05:21:54 UTC 2007
CentOS List <centoslist at gmail.com>

>> I am getting a IBM x3200.. This machine can only support up to 4 x 250GB
>> SATA. I need to have a usable space of 500GB and mirror it to other
>> 500GB.
>> IBM proposed me to get 2 RAID cards. Do you guys think i can do raid 0 on
>> the first 2 x 250GB HDD and raid 0 on the second 2 x 250GB hdd, both on
>> hardware raid and then during the installation of centos 5, i raid 1 on
>> both the 2 sets of hardware raids?
>
> IBM's website says you can use 500GB and even 750GB drives with their
> 'simple swap SATA raid'.    whatever.

Yes That is what i had thought. Total of 4 HDD is 3.0TB, so i presume each
HDD can be 750GB. But the IBM consultant insisted that they had not tested
x3200 with 500GB SATA HDD. If the machine can support that, I wont have a
problem installing CentOS using raid-1 with 2 x 500GB SATA drives.

I wonder who should I listen to. The website or the consultant.

Thanks