[CentOS] OT: Suggestions for RAID HW for 2 SATA drives in DellPowerEdge SC

Thu Aug 30 15:46:33 UTC 2007
Lanny Marcus <mailing-lists at computer2.com>

On 30 August 2007, "Alain Spineux" <aspineux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Message: 50
<snip>
> RAID 1 is mirroring (data are stored on both diks), RAID 0 is striping (data
> are split between both disk).
> If one disk fail, You will loose your data in RAID 0, not in RAID 1.
>
> You can change this setting yourself later using the BIOS menu or the DELL
> CD.
>
> I recommend RAID 1 for safety
>
> Regards
>
> PS: RAID 1 don't dispense you to regularly check if both disk are healthy
> and how to replace a defect one without losing valuable data saved on the
> other.

Alain: Thank you. RAID 1 it is. Also, I will do burn in tests, on the RAM and
drives, before I begin configuring the box. And, learning how to remove/replace
a defective drive is something I should do. Lanny