[CentOS] monitoring rsync backups on centos

Thu Aug 30 15:58:08 UTC 2007
Rob Lines <rlinesseagate at gmail.com>

We went really simple with all the rsync commands being run from the same
machine.  We point all the output from the rsync to a log file in /var/log
and then I usually just tail the file on a daily basis.  Also if it runs
into actual errors cron ends up mailing directly.

We use this on our clusters to good effect though we use batched ssh calls
to tell each cluster node to run their backups but it is all called from the
same script on our head node so that only one backup opperation is running
at a time.  It makes the logs cleaner and we don't run into a problem with
dozens of boxes all trying to sync data back to the head node at the same
time and slowing things down.

Rob