[CentOS] nVdia C15G chipset and GeForce 6100 on board graphix controller

Thu Aug 30 20:12:30 UTC 2007
Chris Geldenhuis <chris.gelden at iafrica.com>

Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 8/29/07, Chris Geldenhuis <cgeldenhuis at jhb.ullmanns.co.za> wrote:
>

>> I am new to installing drivers etc. Could you possible give me a few
>> pointers to help me along the way.
>>

> RPMForge makes installing the nvidia drivers reasonably easy. Simply
> run 'yum install nvidia-x11-drv' and then reboot.
>
> Instructions for RPMForge are at http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/RPMForge

Hi again,

I have followed Jim's instructions to add the RPMforge repository and to
download the nvidia-x11-drv driver from there.

When rebooting after this the system instruct me to re-configure the X11
configuration, when doing this using the "gui" screens provided I cannot
select a screen but can select the nVidia card and then the nVidia
driver. The configuration generated still does not work - I attach a
copy of the Xorg.0.log generated. In this log there is a mention of
using the GLX driver/module from nVidia.

While inspecting /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions I noticed a
sub-directory "nvida" that contained a file "libglx.so". I renamed the
libglx.so file in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions and copied the file
in the nvidia sub directory into it's place - and rebooted. The
reconfiguration of X11 still would not allow me to select a screen and
also did not work. I attach a copy of the Xorg log "Xorg.0.log.2" where
it seems as if the correct GLX module has now been found but without
giving me a useable X11 configuration.

Any suggestion on how to proceed from here would be welcome - if entails
getting another graphics card please suggest a suitable card that will
run without hassles.

TIA

ChrisG