[CentOS] Very slow disk performance on CentOS 4.5

Fri Aug 31 17:18:14 UTC 2007
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On 8/31/07, Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com> wrote:
> The are all SATA drives (2 HDDs and 2 optical drives).  But because
> there are two controllers, one of the HDDs shows up as /dev/hda and
> the other as /dev/sda.

If it's showing up as /dev/hda, it's probably being accessed in legacy
IDE compatibility mode or some such thing.  Check your BIOS.

(With CentOS 3, any time I upgrade the kernel, I have to switch my
SATA drives into legacy mode before lilo will write the boot sector
properly, and then switch them back again when rebooting.)