[CentOS] SFTP error (perhaps due not to using passive mode?)

Wed Aug 15 06:12:51 UTC 2007
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Rogelio Bastardo wrote:
> I'm getting a weird error when I try to sFTP on a CentOS box (which I
> don't have root access).
>
> when I run:
>
> sftp -oPort=990 user at host.domain.com <mailto:user at host.domain.com>
>
> I get the following error, which I suspect is a result of not being in
> "passive mode" (which works when I use Filezilla on Windows)
>
> Connecting to host.domain.com <http://host.domain.com>
> Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer
>
> Any suggestions?

passive vs active or port mode is strictly a  old school FTP thing, it
has nothing to do with sftp which is part of the ssh protocol.

are you running a ssh server on port 990?  it normally runs on port 22.