[CentOS] Cent OS 5 server setup walkthrough

Wed Aug 15 19:04:06 UTC 2007
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov>

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 12:02 +0530, Rohit Rai wrote:
> I have just finished setting up and configuring a server running
> CentOS 5 with 2 Xen VMs. This article describes my journey through
> this, including the problems I faced and there solutions. It documents
> the installation of CentOS 5, from a single CD, adding software,
> configuring squid, NFS, Xen, etc and sharing yum cache and lot more!
>
> I request everyone to check this out and tell me what should I do to
> make this setup properly secured and robust.
>
> Comments requested!!!
>
> It will definitely help you if you are a newbie and want to set up a
> CentOS server.
>
> mytechrantings: Setting up a Cent OS 5 server

Both your article and the referenced "CentOS 5: Linux for Grownups" page
seem to have some misinformation about network installs.

First "CentOS 5: Linux for Grownups" comments:

        The link "Secret boot options for CentOS, Fedora, and RHEL" is
        broken.  Should probably be:

        http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaOptions

        The  secret boot incantation "linux askmethod" is not required
        if you download and boot from the small boot.iso in the
        <URL>/os/<arch>/images directory (or in CD#1 /images).  A
        pxeboot or (undocumented/magic) local GRUB boot from the
        installation kernel/initrd.img install also bypasses the need
        for askmethod.

        Complaints about the need to download 5/6 CD images for a basic
        install are common and well-founded; however the article doesn't
        mention the DVD image that at least has everything on one piece
        of media.  A CentOS 5 Server CD should be forthcoming to address
        this issue.  (4.4 server CD is available, 4.5  should be
        forthcoming real-soon-now [TM] also.)

        Don't know why you couldn't get the network install to work.
        Have done NFS installs from local mirrors and HTTP installs from
        a mirror such as

        http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/centos/5/os/i386

        The comments about the need for "/base and a /RPM[S] directory"
        are not correct.  For CentOS5 all the RPMs are in the CentOS
        directory at the top level of the CD/DVD or <URL>/os/<arch>
        directory.  FTP install should work also.

Comments on "My tech rantings: CentOS 5, SELinux, Xen, squid, yum cache
sharing, gpg and more - All my experiences setting up a server . . .":

Lots of good material here, but a bit rambling as it is obviously meant
to capture your experiences.  Would encourage you to consider
subscribing to the -docs list
(http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs) if not already
there, cleaning up and "de-personalizing", and submitting one or more
"Tips and Tricks" or "HowTos" for the Wiki.

Phil