[CentOS] using centos for linux appliance

Tue Aug 28 00:18:39 UTC 2007
Venkat Subbiah <venkats at cranite.com>

Thinking of using CentOS as a host for a Linux Appliance.

I am used to building Embedded Linux Systems and there the approach is
to create the a directory on the development machine and "get files
"that are to be on the target machine into that directory. This usually
being termed as building the root file system. Also in the embedded
systems approach we build from source and usually during the configure
steps of package we can specify where the end binaries/libraries need to
be copies.

So for Cent OS thinking of using a similar approach with the difference
that I don't want to build all packages from source.

1)Use the binrary rpms and install to a directory on a development
machine  using the rpm --prefix option.   Not sure yet how to specify to
create and use an rpm database on the development machine as opposed to
a database on the development machine.

Is this really a sensible approach or just using something like
Kickstart?

2) There might be some packages that I want to build from source. Then I
am thinking I would need the exact compiler used to compile the binary
rpms. How would I obtain the compiler and environment used to build the
CentOS binary rpms?

Thx,
-Venkat