[CentOS] Looking for Insights

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 19:06:08 UTC 2007

Shawn Everett wrote:

> No errors about md2 or md3 were reported in dmesg or /var/log/messages

Anything about the underlying physical devices?  Do you have diagnostic
tools for the hardware raid underneath the software array?

> Strangely, all files added via Samba after Monday are gone. This is limited
> to only one device: md3.  Everything else is fine.
>
> Checking the two drives/partitions that make up md3 show none of the
> missing files.
>
> Any brilliant thoughts as to where those files might have gone would be
> appreciated.  The files lost are not critical so there are no major
> problems but it's a puzzle I can't quite figure out.

It sounds like the hardware device where this was writing was not
responding, but I'd expect some sort of timeout and log message - unless
/var/log is on this device too.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com