[CentOS] Obtuse-smtpd and Postfix

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Sun Dec 2 17:45:25 UTC 2007

> I would like to switch to CENTOS Postfix from sendmail. My current
> sendmail, in combination with
>
> the very old obtuse-smtpd, allows me:
>

> 1.       To control who of the internal users can     send mail and
> to which domain or accounts

This can be accomplished with smtpd_restrictions_classes

> 2.       To control who of the internal users can receive mail and from
> which domain or accounts

Ditto.

> 3.       To obtain a copy of all         sent mails

This can be accomplished using always_bcc

> 4.       To obtain a copy of all received mails

Ditto.

> Obtuse-smtpd is very easy to configure and very effective. It takes
> control of all smtp activities over Port
>
> 25 and, after filtering and checking, passes the safe mails to sendmail
> for final delivery. Obtuse can, also,
>
> check for addressability, through DNS, of the mail sender and other
> useful features.

Postfix has extensive capabilities for this as well.

> Can Postfix do all this ?

Yes.

> Or, at least:
>
> Can Postfix work in combination with obtuse-smtpd ? (at the end, obtuse
> just calls

Good question.  I've never heard of obtuse-smtpd, so I can't tell you, but
Postfix generally acts like sendmail on the outside, but completely
different on the inside.

> sendmail for the real mail delivery; it only receives mail in port 25
> and checks what it
>
> receives with its rules, allowing or rejecting at the end)

Postfix does that as well.

Check out Ralf Hildebrandt's postfix resources at
<http://www.arschkrebs.de/postfix/>.  Ralf is also the co-author of an
excellent Postfix book.  You should particularly read the 3 pages about
restriction classes.

Barry