[CentOS] CentOS 5 and removing sendmail

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at ActiveNetwerx.com
Sun Dec 2 22:11:04 UTC 2007

>Then take the version of Postfix that's required, the Postfix SRPM from
>CentOS, and adapt the SRPM to use the later Postfix tarball. You might
>check Fedora, as it may have this already done. (An SRPM is a source
>package, so you'd be "building from source" while still using the distro
>package manager.)

Kenneth,
I appreciate the pointer, but that's all way over my level of experience at the moment! Hopefully you can clarify a few extra questions for me :)

I assume when you use the package manager to install an application it takes care of creating users for services and all other related requirements, or is just a matter of tracking the installed programs files for later removal or interference with another installed program? A quick search on the net suggested yum was a better tool to use as it handled downloading and additional dependencies? I assume yum can't be used for this scenario?

Looking around, I found the following file: http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.0/os/SRPMS/postfix-2.3.3-2.src.rpm which I assume is what you referred to, I don't mind reading on my own but can you nudge me in the right direction to learn how to adapt this srpm to use the tarball I am interested in? I read that building the rpm from source as a mortal user is advised as the forum suggested "so processes are unnecessarily running as root from the newly created binary, its more secure"? Does the newly built rpm actually change behavior once installed depending on who built it, or was that merely related to process for the build only while compiling?

Thanks for your help!
jlc