[CentOS] x86_64 versus i386

Manish Kathuria

mkathuria at tuxtechnologies.co.in
Mon Dec 3 04:49:32 UTC 2007

Hello,

On the Intel Core 2 Duo processor based systems, we have the option of
installing either x86_64 or the i386 distribution. I would like to
know your experiences with the x86_64 port. How does it compare with
the i386 distribution in terms of stability, reliability and
performance ? How significant are the performance benefits gained by
using the x86_64 linux instead of i386 on the same system ? Keeping in
mind a production environment, which port of CentOS do you recommend
for a Core 2 Duo based server ? It would be great to have your
opinion.

Thanks,

Manish