[CentOS] Cannot boot after upgrading to Centos 5.1

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 13:55:09 UTC 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 2:40 PM, Mogens Kjaer <mk at crc.dk> wrote:
> My local centos mirror (ftp.crc.dk) failed to boot
> after having upgraded from centos 5.0 to 5.1 (i386).
>
> It just displays
>
> GRUB
>
> The cursor is positioned to the right of a space after
> GRUB, and no input is accepted.
>
> I've tried booting in rescue mode and run:
>
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0
>
> This completes without errors, but still it can't boot.
>
> It's a HP/Compaq Proliant ML370 with a smartarray 5312 controller.

Maybe the the module is not included into the new initrd image (if you
have upgraded your kernel too)

boot in rescue mode, check /etc/modprobe.conf if your controller module is in,
and run mkinitrd with appropriate parameters, maybe forcing the module
inclusion.

Regards

> HELP!
>
> Mogens
>
> --
> Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg A/S, Computer Department
> Gamle Carlsberg Vej 10, DK-2500 Valby, Denmark
> Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
> Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you