[CentOS] Re: Cannot boot after upgrading to Centos 5.1

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Dec 3 18:27:15 UTC 2007

on 12/3/2007 8:40 AM Mogens Kjaer spake the following:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Mogens Kjaer wrote:
>>> I got it to boot by doing a:
>>>
>>> grub-install '(hd0)'
>>
>> the /boot/grub/device.map must point grub to the right location for hd0,
>> check that once. Also, grub has not been updated in 5.1 at all, so I
>> would think your problem is not related to the update at all. When was
>> the last time you rebooted the machine :)
>>

> device.map contains:
>
> (fd0)   /dev/fd0
> (hd0)   /dev/cciss/c0d0
>
> However, I've noticed that grub-install is not telling
> the truth:
>
> # grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0
> expr: non-numeric argument
> Installation finished. No error reported.
> This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
> Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
> fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.
>
> (fd0)   /dev/fd0
> (hd0)   /dev/cciss/c0d0
>
> # grub-install '(hd0)'
> Installation finished. No error reported.
> This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
> Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
> fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.
>
> (fd0)   /dev/fd0
> (hd0)   /dev/cciss/c0d0
>
> In the first case it says that no errors are reported, however
> there's a message from expr that something has gone wrong. The
> stage2 file produced by the two commands differ.
>
> If I add a "set -x" to a copy of the grub-install command
> and do a diff on the output I get:

> < ++ tmp_drive='(hd0)'
> < ++ test 'x(hd0)' = x
> < ++ test x/dev/cciss/c0d0 '!=' x
> < ++ case "$host_os" in
> < ++ echo '(hd0)'
> < +++ expr /dev/cciss/c0d0 - 1
> < expr: non-numeric argument
> 508c451
> < + install_boot_block '(hd0,0)' '(hd0,)'
> ---
>  > + install_boot_block '(hd0,0)' '(hd0)'
>
> The machine reboots automatically during the weekend if
> a new kernel has been installed, yum update runs daily,
> so it has been rebooted.
>
> Mogens

I have never gotten grub to install to a linux device name. It always wants a
defined drive in the device.map. I always thought I was doing something wrong,
and resolved myself to always check the device.map first.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and