[CentOS] what happened to netconfig in 5.1

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Mon Dec 3 19:23:05 UTC 2007

> >/
> />/ I am doing a yum install netconfig on the new 5.1
> />/ and nothing gets installed. Was it removed? replaced with something else?
> />/
> />/ yum provides netconfig does not show a "bin" command just false matches.
> />/
> />/ Is there a new command?
> />/
> />/ Thanks,
> />/
> />/ Jerry
> /
>
> Looks like system-config-network has replaced it. AHHH!
> when I run this command it does not show my eth0 as forcedeth
> it is showing my T1 digium card as eth0.
>
> Very shocked this command was removed from 5.0 to 5.1 release. What are
> they thinking?

To make matters worse - I just ran system-config-network. It does
not automatically stop the existing dhcpclient running.
Netconfig used to do this.

I used to let DHCP run to setup the box as I install the OS.
Later when I receive IP information - I would just run netconfig.
then do service network restart and the box would be live.

When I run system-config-network it gives me errors about the
dhcpclient still running.

Jerry