[CentOS] Silly question about 5.1

David G. Miller

dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Dec 3 19:30:13 UTC 2007

I just rebooted my desktop system to pick up the 5.1 kernel, etc.  One
oddity I noticed is that the contents of /etc/redhat-release still says:

[root at bend etc]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5 (Final)

but:

[root at bend etc]# rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/redhat-release
centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1

On my CentOS 4 box, /etc/redhat-release says:

[dave at fraud ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.5 (Final)

Shouldn't /etc/redhat-release on the CentOS 5 box say "5.1?"

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce